“When they are told that the United States government had no part in the production of the video and deplores its content, educated Libyans and Egyptians reply (reporters tell us), “Well, if they think it’s bad and against their values, why didn’t they stop it or punish those who produced it?” The standard response is that we Americans don’t suppress or penalize ideas we regard as wrong and even dangerous; in accordance with the First Amendment, we tolerate them and allow them to present themselves for possible purchase in the marketplace of ideas.
But that means that protecting the marketplace by refusing to set limits on what can enter it is the highest value we affirm, and we affirm it no matter what truths might be vilified and what falsehoods might get themselves accepted. We have decided that the potential unhappy consequences of a strong free speech regime must be tolerated because the principle is more important than preventing any harm it might permit.”
Tell me again how the First Amendment doesn’t apply to that creepy perv from Reddit. Tell me again how you’re all Champions of Justice for attempting to destroy that asshole’s life.
(Source: The New York Times)
- captainamerica-thestampede likes this
- moneymud reblogged this from nineprotons
- parkebench reblogged this from totalmachismo and added:
- thebeeobee likes this
- totalmachismo reblogged this from sahnin and added:
- highenergyjewtrino reblogged this from sahnin and added:
- sahnin reblogged this from totalmachismo and added:
- totalmachismo likes this
- sahnin likes this
- nineprotons reblogged this from sahnin and added: